Urgent warning to parents after child is killed by button battery

by:CTECHi     2019-12-17
After the death of a child who swallowed the button battery, the parents were warned to be aware of the danger of the button battery.
Small round batteries, common in toys, remote controls and car fobs, can cause chemical burns if exposed to the nose and mouth.
Medical security Investigation Department (HSIB)
After a child swallowed a button battery and died earlier this year, he issued a warning.
The safety agency says the danger begins once the battery is exposed to wet surfaces such as the esophagus, nose or ears.
This causes the battery to start discharging its \"current\" and to start a chemical reaction, causing significant damage to the surrounding tissue.
Within a few hours, severe internal burns may occur in the upper chest area, resulting in prolonged burns
Terminology of breathing and swallowingand even death.
If a child is considered to have swallowed one, they should be taken to a & E immediately.
The safety agency warned that as children tend to put things in their mouths, they are at a higher risk and people should be particularly wary of button batteries with a diameter of 20mm or more, because they are more likely to get stuck in the throat.
More information on button batteries and their dangers can be found on the children\'s Accident Prevention Trust website.
Dr. Kevin Stewart, director of medicine at HSIB, said: \"These batteries pose a very real risk to children and infants, and the consequences of swallowing button batteries can be truly devastating.
\"That\'s why we call on families during this festival to be vigilant and take some basic precautions around their house.
\"It\'s important that everyone knows that these batteries are everywhere, from toys to gadgets like remote controls, digital scales and car fobs.
\"The best way to protect children is to keep everything safely out of reach and check again if all toys have screws to secure any batteries.
Dr. Rachel Rowland of Leicester\'s Royal Infirmary said that even if the battery does not have enough power to power the device, it can cause fatal damage, so it is important to properly handle the battery.
\"This Christmas, I would urge everyone to realize the dangers that a button battery can cause if they swallow or put in their nose or ears,\" she added . \".
\"If parents or caregivers believe that the child swallowed or inserted a button battery, they should take the child to the nearest emergency department immediately.
Katrina Phillips, chief executive of the children\'s Accident Prevention Trust Fund, said: \"The festive tea lights, the singing Santa Claus and the flashing Christmas wand are all powered by lithium coin batteries, curious little fingers can easily reach many of them.
\"We are worried that children can have fatal consequences by putting everything in their mouths.
\"We encourage families not to expose infants, toddlers and children to potentially dangerous products, and to be equally careful about where they store spare and used batteries.
\"We pay for your story!
Do you have the story of The Sun Online news team?
At the prompt @ the-send us an emailsun. co.
Uk or call 0207 782 4368.
You can make our WhatsApp 07810 791 502.
We also pay for video.
Click here to upload your
Custom message
Chat Online 编辑模式下无法使用
Leave Your Message inputting...