Swallowed button batteries a concern with \'fidget spinners\'
The doctor warned that swallowing the button battery from the flashing \"fidgety spinner\" could cause serious injuries to the child.
Fidgety spinner is a toy made of metal or plastic, consisting of a central bearing surrounded by three arms
Pods spinning around the center.
Some types of fidgeting rotators including LEDs (LED)
Run on the button battery.
A new report details the situation of two cases of esophageal burns after children ingest batteries from toys.
\"In the treatment of our 4-year-
Old patients with major injuries (from)
Ingesting fidgety spinning discs with button batteries, we immediately realized that this is an important publicity opportunity because this toy is very common in families of children of all ages, how bad is the mark that many of the toys are packed on any warning, \"Dr.
Yoseph Gurevich told Reuters Health in an email.
\"We would also like to know if other people in other medical centers across the country have seen the injuries taken by fidgety textile workers.
\"Once we get in touch with our colleagues in Denver, Colorado, they also have a child similar to the injury, and we know that it requires access to medical and public communities,\" Gurevich said . \", He is a pediatric stomach ologist at Steven Hyde Park and Alexandra Cohen Children\'s Medical Center in New York.
Ingestion damage associated with the use and misuse of fidgety rotators has led to the United StatesS.
Commission on Consumer Product Safety (CPSC)
Gurevich said official public safety tips related to use were issued.
\"The focus, however, is not on the risk of intake, which is the most dangerous risk associated with this toy if Button batteries are involved,\" he said.
Gurevich and his colleagues described the cases of the two children in the Journal of Pediatric digestion and nutrition.
One child swallowed the central disc cover of a broken fidgety spinner, including a small button battery, and the other child swallowed a battery that was released from a damaged disk.
A child needs an emergency surgery to remove a broken toy, including one.
Stayed in the hospital for nearly three weeks.
\"Any toy powered by a button battery, as well as any household item, is dangerous in the hands of the child,\" Gurevich said . \".
Gurevich said that many of the children\'s battery charges occur after the battery is removed from products that are never suitable for children, such as watches, hearing aids or adult electronic devices.
\"It is important for caregivers to assess what objects around the house are not suitable for children to use, but children can reach them and cause accidental intake,\" he said . \".
\"If it was in the house, not locked in a cabinet or drawer, the children would find it.
Gurevich said: \"for toys, it is important to check the compartment where the battery is located to ensure that the battery is completely safe, the battery cover is tight and there is no chance of being removed by the child. Dr.
Athos Bousvaros, a pediatric stomach ologist at Boston Children\'s Hospital, co-wrote an editorial with the report, who told Reuters Health channel over the phone, \"most button batteries have warnings and they are hard to open, people are also aware.
But it sounds like these fidgety rotators, which are easy to break and the battery is inside ,(and)
There is no warning about the battery.
Bousvaros said: \"The swallowed battery may tear a hole in the esophagus that connects the aorta, and the child may bleed to death.
\"This is really the risk of these button batteries.
\"Basically, this is very serious,\" he said . \".
\"In the worst case, none of these cases, you get the terrible complications of the aorta --
As we all know, esophageal fistula is a rare complication of button battery intake, almost always leading to death.
” SOURCES: bit.
Ly/2DS2usW and bit.
Journal of Pediatric digestion and nutrition, Ly/2 DPUeKe, online, January 24, 2018.